Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Many people have long memories and short tempers. For me, it's not a case of once bitten, twice shy. It is more that, once I have been bitten, I am forever ready to bite right back at anything that remotely reminds me of those offending teeth. Attack, I tend to feel, is usually the best form of defence. Often, that is very true too. What though, if I am in a safe position? I normally feel as though I have got a titanium shell and I only face a toothless monster with a weak jaw, so I might as well relax, but contrary to that position; It is now as if I am walking on a narrow path at the top of some great cliff. To one side, there's an impenetrable wall. To the other, a breathtaking drop to the sea far below. So... how safe should I feel? How scared should I be?
Insofar as I am fully aware of a particular danger, How could I ever have any reason to relax? I am terrified of taking a silly risk or forget to watch my footing. I guess it is only natural that the existence of a potential problem is providing me with a constant reminder of the need for caution. But should I be glad for the tension I feel? Would I have any reason to believe that everything is going to be ok and I can stop to worry!?
Some beliefs are easy and convenient. Others require conscious, constant renewal. We can't though, use this as a basis for deciding that one belief is more likely to be true than another. Indeed, we can't reliably employ any technique to assess the validity of a belief. We just have to believe what we believe - and then believe whatever we want to believe about whatever anyone else believes!

No comments: