Sunday, June 15, 2003

People love to talk. Often though, the more they say, the less they actually communicate. Words can help us to hide our true feelings just as much as they can allow us to express them. With our clever explanations and our well-rehearsed justifications, we can make any decision sound reasonable. Yet the fact remains that all our choices are based on something much more powerful and persuasive than intellect. A gut reaction! Our feelings count for far more than we often realise! I guess, It is easy to do what you know how to do. It is difficult to do what you don't! Now I know what you are thinking; “She is stating the obvious.” Ah, but some things are just so obvious that we cannot even see them! Our world is full of people who are busy repeating old experiences. Despite the endless possibilities that we are all theoretically entitled to explore, we end up going round in the same old circles, bringing ourselves a choice between the devil we know and the devil we don't. Er... If we don't know the new devil, how can we be sure it isn't an angel?
What do I believe? And what do I just think I believe? These distinctions are subtle in one way, crucial in another. We take an awful lot for granted. We don't question ourselves any more than we have to. Once we are happy that we know where we stand with regard to a particular situation, we try not to entertain any further thought. After a while though, if we don't freshen up our ideas and attitudes, they grow dusty and stale. I love to feel there is an explanation for everything. There may be. But that doesn't mean I can always see what it is? Perhaps I shouldn't ever feel obliged to produce that explanation in order to justify my actions or anyone else’s. We are allowed to do things without knowing quite why. We are entitled to our instincts and urges. Far better to be honest about these and concede that they represent some kind of primeval impulse than to take the route favoured by so many intellectuals who just disguise their unreasonable impulses by using long, complex, reasonable sounding arguments.

I am beginning to see something vital about what I really feel. It may or may not reveal something about why I really feel it. But that’s secondary!

No comments: