Thursday, June 05, 2003

They say, "You can't judge a book by looking at its cover." But as a matter of fact, these days, you can. Book-jacket designers everywhere strive tirelessly to assure an instant, accurate association, between the images on the front and the words within. Books we can consider quite safe to purchase on a whim at the checkout, but we would be pretty silly to consider that people are quite so transparent. We can't judge a soul by the body it happens to be living in. We can't judge the kindness of the heart from the sharpness of the intellect. Perhaps it is wrong of me to make assumptions, perhaps I should make inquiries instead. If I don't actually ask for what I want, then when I get it and it turns out to be not quite what I was hoping for, I can blame someone else. Or, at least, I can feel entitled to reject it. This is more or less the reason why I am always so careful about expressing a preference. Plus, of course, fear of disappointment as nothing in life is more painful than rejection. Maybe a good way of avoiding the experience is to pretend that there’s nothing I want to ask for! ....Sometimes, it is better to have a gap in life than to fill the time with an unsatisfactory activity. The wrong kind of something can be a lot more harmful than the right kind of nothing! There comes a point though, where we are better off making any move than none. Even if we create a problem, we can then set about clearing that problem up. Whereas, if we just hang around waiting, it may be ages before any change occurs. I shouldn't really need to think about this...or perhaps I should? I am by nature a participant, not an observer. Oddly though, I now seem to be thinking too much about a matter that is perhaps best responded to instinctively...... I don't want to do that to myself now. I sit here and think, for a moment, about the very best thing I could possibly get...but is it available? Perhaps, I should tell myself "don't poke it. Don’t scratch it. Don’t fiddle with it in any way. Just leave it alone." ...perhaps that is the best advise I can give myself....let things happen and don't be scared...give it a chance and stop thinking of what might be!!!

No comments: