Friday, July 25, 2003

When I was younger ( well...when I was just a kid!) , I had a favourite theme park ride. The one that I could get to sit in a little car and drive it along a track. It had a steering wheel to turn and a horn to honk. I felt very much as if I was in control of the vehicle. Only I wasn't. The whole thing was being pulled by a hidden engine. It didn't matter how hard I tried to accelerate, turn or brake. I didn't get it then, of course. I was happy in my belief. For me then, ignorance was bliss. None of us minds expending a little, additional enthusiasm, when prospects are bright, but none of us likes to waste energy on unnecessary worry. I guess not much is changed since then...I am still going round and round the track with no control over what is happening...the difference is I can't be happy about it anymore!

No comments: