Sunday, January 04, 2004

We all love solving puzzles. What we don't like is discovering that those puzzles may not have a satisfactory solution. It's then that they become problems. We can apply our minds to abstract, remote difficulties or to situations that are bemusing our friends. Sometimes, though, we are too quick to give up on questions that relate too directly to our lives. Maybe this is not a problem...maybe I simply have a puzzle from which I need to stand further back...and look at it differently...Whether I made a plan for this particular phase of my life long ago or merely had a vague expectation about what I would like it to bring, I am beginning to see things are most unlikely to come to pass as I anticipated...well certainly not anytime soon... Circumstances beyond my control are forcing me to rearrange my agenda and re-evaluate priorities on an almost daily basis. Though I tend to be adaptable, I'd like more stability...not sure what this is... fear?...doubt?...new year jitters?...whatever it is... the outcome better be good!!!

Are we all just victims of circumstance? Perhaps, but some of us, despite facing superficially similar circumstances, feel far more inclined to see ourselves as beneficiaries of kindly coincidence. We all face factors we can't control, or we expend a lot of effort without much certainty of getting much by way of reward. When we decide to accept what's happening and do our best regardless, we can feel good even if things don't all go exactly our way. When we resent the situation we find ourselves in, we feel bad, regardless of how much truly good reason there is to be unhappy. Maybe what I need is to embrace what there's no point in rejecting... And be aware that things can change...ya ya...gotta be optimistic....too soon to over rule new year resolutions....

No comments: